Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Locations of Residence of William Spencer Moore on Google Maps


View William Spencer Moore in a larger map

You can also access the map by clicking on this link.

The Google Maps task combines two series of events, the GeneaBloggers Games and Week 7 of the 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy.

This was a difficult task for me, with a great deal of trial and error. I did finally end up with a map of the two known residences of William Spencer Moore in South Carolina in the My Maps application of Google Maps. It has map pins on the approximate locations and a brief description for each location, as well as title and description of the map. It's fairly basic, but I hope to be able to do more later.

One problem I had was making the locations as precise as I wanted them to be. I have some paper maps showing the location of each of these two farms within particular townships (Hopewell for the Anderson County one and Fairview for the Greenville County one), and even though I knew some of the local landmarks/orientation points (Twenty-Six Mile Creek for Anderson and Stony Creek for Greenville), I was not able to get good results for Google Maps searches for these locations. Instead, I used the nearest towns: Simpsonville for Greenville and Williamston for Anderson. I'm definitely going to have to do some more tinkering and playing around with this application.

No comments:

Post a Comment