I am thrilled to learn that Becky Wiseman of kinexxions has also awarded me the Happy 101 Award. Because Becky was one of the first GeneaBloggers whose blog I found, admired, and tried to emulate, this is a true honor for me. So, in honor of Becky, through whose posts on her travels so many of us are deriving much vicarious pleasure these days, I would like to devote the following post to her: “Top 10 Things That Make Me Happy When I’m Traveling.”
1. A pleasant and adventurous traveling companion. (But not too adventurous. I am not going to climb that mountain.) And, in certain countries, one who can drive stick shift, remember to keep on the left side of the road, and park in impossible spots.
2. A camera that works (including a flash that goes off when it’s supposed to and not just when it wants to).
3. Cooperative weather. That’s right, Mr. Cumulus over there, move your fat behind and let the sun shine on this tombstone.
4. Good music on the radio or my iPod. (And a companion who does not mind screechy violins or sing-alongs in Hungarian. See #1 above.)
5. The knowledge that I haven’t forgotten anything. (Well, OK, that one’s never gonna happen.)
6. Animals to watch, pet, or somehow interact with.
7. At least one rainbow, and at least one spectacular sunset. (And I never get tired of them.)
8. At least one good (non-chain) bookstore.
9. Schmoozing with people we meet along the way.
10. Coming home to a house with no basement flood (it’s happened before), no cat-caused mess, and nothing in the mail that had to be dealt with immediately.
Happy travels, Becky – we’re all having a blast reading about your journey!