Sunday, February 15, 2009

I Found the Recipe!

In my post on Family Food, I reminisced about a fantastic candy made by my Aunt Rene and later also by my mother, mostly at Christmas time. Yesterday I decided to do some “extra special” cleaning in some places that … um, well … I don’t clean very often. Like the corner of the dining room next to the bookcase that’s hard to reach for various reasons. And there was a pile of (very dusty) boxes for 3x5 cards, i.e., a bunch of my old recipe boxes. I suspected one of them might hold the longed-for recipe, and sure enough, I quickly found the recipe.

And what was the name on the recipe for these mouth-watering delights? … “Candy Balls.” So here’s the recipe, folks.

Candy Balls

Mix together 1 stick oleo, 1 can Eagle milk, 2 boxes powdered sugar, 2 cans coconut, 4 c. pecans; chill 2 hrs. Take out & roll into balls. Rechill. Melt in double boiler 2 packages chocolate chips, ¼ lb. paraffin. Stick toothpicks into balls & dip them into hot chocolate. Rechill. Dip them over as long as there is any chocolate left. For variety, dip balls into cherry juice before dipping in chocolate.

Now if I can just find Photo Album Number 4.

5 comments:

  1. Look out Photo Album #4. Here comes Greta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH, this recipe sounds good...It was worth searching for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Becky, I'm still hopin'!

    Yes, JoLyn, this candy was definitely a creamy confection of calories. I'll have to get my act together and try to recreate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made candy before but always wanted to (for some reason I always thought it would be difficult to do). Your recipe sounds good- I think I'll make it my first try at candy-making!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Leah! One thing I remember about the chocolate coating part - that could get a little labor-intensive; I think there is some trick about getting the chocolate to the right consistency so that you get a thick coating with each dipping rather than a thin one.

    ReplyDelete