Monday, September 6, 2010
My New Toy
Ever since I started planning my research trip to Greenville I have been thinking about getting a wand scanner for scanning documents. I had also heard recommendations on using a camera on the “Macro” setting for this purpose.
Helpful Husband said he would buy a wand scanner this weekend as an early anniversary present, but first I decided to see what I could do with my camera. I used a printout of a will typescript as my sample specimen. The ultimate results with a camera were pretty good, but clarity definitely depended on amount of light; the first image was rather fuzzy, and I had to have strong overhead light to produce the results you see below.
So, being a “belt and suspenders” type of gal, I decided to take Husband up on his offer.
To my delight, the first experiment produced the two images you see below. The first is the jpeg image that comes up in Preview, and the second is a photographic image that comes up in iPhoto.
Some of the documents and images I will be scanning/photographing are bound to pose challenges, but I’m hoping that the combination of methods will ensure some readable results.