Monday, September 6, 2010

My New Toy



Ever since I started planning my research trip to Greenville I have been thinking about getting a wand scanner for scanning documents. I had also heard recommendations on using a camera on the “Macro” setting for this purpose.

Helpful Husband said he would buy a wand scanner this weekend as an early anniversary present, but first I decided to see what I could do with my camera. I used a printout of a will typescript as my sample specimen. The ultimate results with a camera were pretty good, but clarity definitely depended on amount of light; the first image was rather fuzzy, and I had to have strong overhead light to produce the results you see below.




So, being a “belt and suspenders” type of gal, I decided to take Husband up on his offer.

To my delight, the first experiment produced the two images you see below. The first is the jpeg image that comes up in Preview, and the second is a photographic image that comes up in iPhoto.





Some of the documents and images I will be scanning/photographing are bound to pose challenges, but I’m hoping that the combination of methods will ensure some readable results.

11 comments:

  1. OOOO, neat, now, full details, name, purchased from, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta, A woman after my own heart! Looks like a great new toy - enjoy and I'll be "watching" to see how the research trip goes with it!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, now there's a new toy I'm going to put at the top of my list! Looking forward to more posts by you with scans from your wand scanner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greta, Thanks for your report. It is nice getting to see how it works. I'm wondering, do you have to have a steady hand when you move the wand down the document? Always nice to see a new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, Karen, Mary, and Barbara - Due to the interest, I'll post more details tomorrow. But, to answer Barbara's question first - having a steady hand is not quite so much an issue because you actually place the scanner on top of the document and slowly move it across the document (a red light will flash if you are moving it too quickly). It's probably best when the document lies flat on a surface. My husband bought it for $99 at Brookstone. He knows I prefer "basic" to "lots of features (= usually things I don't need), so this costs less than others, which were in the $160 range. But it does color & B&W. It needs (and does not come with) two AA batteries and a microSD card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband bought me one a few months ago and I loved it. He found mine one night a 2 AM on home shopping.

    BUT, I have lost the instructions and I have not told him this yet. Or possibly the batteries are dead and that is why I can not get it to operate.

    I love it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, that looks like it would be my new favorite toy as well! One of my cousins has a nice, big, fancy scanner with bells and whistles, but then also has a smaller scanner (Canon, not sure of #) that is powered by USB. It is about 3/4" to 1" thick and he carried it with his laptop when he goes to libraries. So, another option for some. It is well under $100, and seems to do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudia - It could be the batteries or perhaps the card is full?

    Linda - It is so light and easy to use; I hope I get an opportunity on this trip!

    Sherry - I also need to look into a high-quality photo scanner, but that will have to wait a while. There were fancier wand scanners for more $, but this one is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia - It could be the batteries or perhaps the card is full?

    Linda - It is so light and easy to use; I hope I get an opportunity on this trip!

    Sherry - I also need to look into a high-quality photo scanner, but that will have to wait a while. There were fancier wand scanners for more $, but this one is all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may have arrived late, but I am still impressed. How nice to have so you don't have to copy and then scan. Saved a step! I am drooling. Considering.

    ReplyDelete