Friday, August 27, 2010

Friday Newsletter - FGS Conference Wrap-Up

Follow Friday will return next week; I am still recovering from the FGS Conference. Meanwhile, I direct you to Randy Seaver’s “Best of the Genea-blogs” at Genea-Musings and John Newmark’s “Weekly Picks” at TransylvanianDutch.

FGS Conference

Best: The people – both the people of Tennessee and the Genea-Bloggers I met. Also breakfasts at Pete’s Coffee Shop, the Museum of Appalachia, and the East Tennessee Historical Center.

Worst: Probably the drive through the pouring rain in the way to Tennessee.

So-So: The bookstore situation in Knoxville, at least the part within walking distance of the Convention Center. The bookstore at the University of Tennessee was OK for a college bookstore, but there wasn’t much else.

OK: Our hotel (the Holiday Inn). The staff were very pleasant. WiFi is unreliable there. The chain scrimps on certain things that would make life easier (like having enough luggage carts).

Outstanding: The majority of presentations at the conference. A couple were only OK or so-so, but considering the fact that a novice at doing a large convention like me was able to attend so many excellent lectures, still awfully good.

Very Good: The Exhibit Hall. Probably a good thing that it didn’t have more wares and vendors, or I would have spent even more money.

My Research Week

I am printing out downloaded pages from indices of deed and probate file documents on the Greenville County website for use on my research trip. This will be followed by putting together all the other hard-copy information I have on the Moores such as binders, printouts of hard-copy reports from Reunion, and deed abstract books.

1 comment:

  1. I have thoroughly enjoyed your conference posts! Wish I could have been there. Now I am trying to decide which lectures to purchase, there are so many! Thanks for the summaries

    ReplyDelete