Friday, January 28, 2011

Friday Newsletter and Follow News: 28 January 2011

This Week in Genea-Blogging

One of our own will be on "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Kathleen Brandt of a3 Genealogy!  Read about it here.  I am definitely not going to miss that episode.


A personal view of a disaster

In “Black Sunday and an Engagement,” Cheri Daniels of Journeys Past has put together an interesting look at the 1937 flood that affected areas along the Ohio River as related in the words of her grandfather and through the pictures he took at that time. This post is a great illustration of how genealogists/family historians can contribute to the publicly available historical resources.


A good follow-up to Amy’s “Comments” post

is Marian Pierre-Louis’ post on “Blogging and Technology” at Roots and Rambles. It’s time to start asking for the features we want.


Things I need to put on a sticky on my computer screen

Jirene at Jirene’s Genealogy Tips has some excellent information about using newspapers in our research in “Genealogy Tips when Searching Newspapers.”


A convert to Jenny-ology

In “My Research Toolbox,” Jenny Lanctot describes how she took a cue from last week’s Open Thread Thursday on Genea-Bloggers dealing with research toolboxes, and used Weebly to build her research toolbox (using her bookmarked links) and put a link to it on her blog, Are My Roots Showing? It’s called Jenny-ology! Marvelous! I think I’ll give it a try myself!


Some interesting “takes” on Ancestry’s decision to discontinue Member Connect:

Kerry Scott at Clue Wagon: “Is Ancestry Dumb?”

Paula Stuart-Warren at Paula’s Genealogical Eclectica: “Ancestry.com Discontinues Expert Connect”

Marian Pierre-Louis at Roots and Rambles: “What’s a Professional Researcher to Do Without Expert Connect?”

Kim at Ancestors of Mine from Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky & Beyond: “When Ancestry Owns The World Part II” and “Now For My More Rational Side”

Thomas MacEntee at High-Definition Genealogy: "Expert Disconnect - What's Ancestry.com's Next Move" and "Ancestry.com - The Evil Empire of Genealogy?"

Plus there is a roundup at The Ancestral Archaeologist: “ExpertConnect R.I.P.: A Roundup”


Things might have been so different

“How were your ancestors affected by the little quirks and great events of history?” asks Daniel Hubbard at Personal Past Meditations: A Genealogical Blog in the post “A Ripple that Spread on this Side of the Pond.”


Follow these rules!

Maureen Taylor provides some very important “Preservation Points: Rules to Live By” at The Photo Detective.


It’s later than you think

Lynn Palermo at The Armchair Genealogist has some helpful tips on getting ready to make the most use of the 1940 US Census and 1921 Canadian Census when they come out in 2012 and 2013 in “Tuesday’s Tip - Preparing for the Next Census.”


Everyone can make mistakes ...

and the best ones will admit it! In “Who’s Your Daddy?” Lorine McGinnis Shulze at Olive Tree Genealogy Blog describes her recent discovery that the father of one of her ancestors may not have been the man she originally thought. Some new information provided by another researcher has inspired her to revisit her 20-year-old research and look into some records that were not available then - she’s even excited at the prospect of a new line to research!


From digital to hard copy

Another option for turning blogs into books is discussed by Cheryl Palmer at Heritage Happens in “Blog ‘2’ Book with Blog2Print,” and Cheryl includes photos of the lovely book that resulted from her efforts.


Professor Dru of Find Your Folks has a new blog: Let Freedom Ring, which deals with her Civil War-related research.


For more suggested blog reading ...

Check out “Best of the Genea-Blogs” at Randy Seaver’s Genea-Musings, “Across My Desk: 26 Jan 2011” at Dear Myrtle, “Follow Friday: Around the Blogosphere” at Susan Petersen’s Long Lost Relatives.net, and “Best Bytes for the Week” at Elizabeth O’Neal’s Little Bytes of Life.


Happy Fourth Blogoversary to Bill at West in New England!

Happy First Blogoversary to Mary at Me and My Ancestors!

Happy First Blogoversary to Michelle Gudrum at The Turning of Generations!

Happy Second Blogoversary to Jennifer at Jennifer’s Genealogy Blog!

Happy Third Blogoversary to Jennifer at But Now I'm Found!

Happy Second Blogoversary to Karen at Ancestor Soup!


This week I started following these blogs:

A Hoyt Family Genealogy

aquamarinesteph

Ancestral Discoveries

Generations of Stories

I’m Related to Whom?

mahoganybox.net

Mam-ma’s Southern Family

Shaking Leaves: My Adventures in Genealogy

The Family Shrubbery

Blood and Frogs

Let Freedom Ring


My Research Week

A good one! I’m still creeping along in transcribing the court records of the Floyd family trials, searching Genealogy Bank for articles on my Moore, Lewis, and Floyd families, and researching the Margaret Leek Brinlee-Robert Brown Sims family.

But the big news comes on my husband’s side of the family. I have whined written before about trying to “find the Fichtelmanns,” but this week a Genea-Angel in the form of my husband’s fourth cousin (at least, now we know that she is in fact related and how), Mary Lou Benjamin, sent me an e-mail with the news that she had proof that the parents of Christine Fichtelmann (my husband’s great-grandmother) were Johann August (aka John A.) Fichtelmann and Catharina Scherer.

Mary Lou and I had corresponded before and sort of narrowed the possibilities down to Johann Friedrich (aka Fred) Fichtelmann, Mary Lou’s ancestor, or Johann August, and J.A. it was. Mary Lou sent me scans of many different documents on this family, as well as information on her research and that of another Fichtelmann cousin. Between the two of them they have a good bit of information that is both broad and deep.

I can probably follow some of Mary Lou’s research steps for the Koehl family that Christine Fichtelmann married into. Both families have quite a few members buried in Green-wood Cemetery in Brooklyn. Now, if I can just find the maiden name for my mother-in-law’s maternal grandmother, my research into my husband’s family will really be cooking!

I still have to send in my NGS Conference registration. But I’m having a hard time choosing which “special” events to attend! My family is going to be with me (mostly having a good time in Charleston), so I’d like to choose one that maybe all of us can go to, and perhaps one that I’ll just attend on my own. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

  1. I love the way you do your weekly round ups. Its the first place I go to when I need to catch up. Good job on your recent successes with your research, and even more so for being able to travel to Charleston! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kim. I too love your weekly round ups. Time gets shorter and shorter, and your Friday Newsletter and Follow News helps me to make the best use of the little time I seem to have these days.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree, you really have great round ups! You cover so much info and I know it is a lot of work! Thank you for doing it every week, and wouldn't you know, I can thank you for sharing my post this week also! Nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the mention...and I only WISH I'd had a research week as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blogoversary wishes, Greta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention, Greta! I'm having a good time putting my toolbox together, and I'm learning a lot about creating websites. I just wish I had more time to get it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the week in review. It is a great place to go to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim - Thank you for the encouragement! Wish you could go to Charleston - I have been reading about the presentations, and there are going to be some awesome ones.

    Cynthia - Thank you - funny about that time getting shorter thing; I have been noticing that, too. Or maybe I'm just getting slower...

    Cheryl - Always glad to share the things you write; I'm always careful never to miss anything on "Heritage Happens"!

    Kerry - I have to give creds to Mary Lou - she is a wonderful researcher and a generous person.

    Jennifer - Can't wait to see what's on for this year!

    Jenny - What I especially loved is having this available on your blog - a great resource for your readers, but also handy for you. Since I've found that using my blog as a gateway this way is very convenient, this looks like the perfect approach for me.

    Joan - Thank you - and thank you for providing so many helpful posts!

    ReplyDelete