Friday, December 24, 2010

Friday Newsletter and Follow News: 24 December 2010

This Week in Genea-Blogging

A continuing saga

Angela Walton-Raji at My Ancestor’s Name has some follow-up news on the saga of Thomas McElroy as well as on the misrepresentation of his story in the Grant County Museum in “’Old Tom’ in Grant County: A Disappointment and an Opportunity.”


The virtues of 140 characters

At Roots and Rambles, Marian Pierre-Louis tells us “Why I Like Twitter.” Her case for Twitter is very convincing. Still, I imagine there are a few others like me for whom it takes more time to scrunch my thought into 140 characters than it does to write a blog post about it.


Never stop learning

In “Do You Have a Genealogy Learning Plan?” Gena Philibert Ortega of Gena’s Genealogy offers some suggestions for where to find courses and resources for continuing education in genealogy.


What to do with a treasure trove

Excellent advice and an overview of the process of analyzing old letters are provided by Daniel Hubbard in “Love for Letters” at Personal Past Meditations: A Genealogical Blog. Hubbard includes not only physical preservation tips, but also guidelines for digital preservation, storage, and organization and spreadsheet presentation of the information. A must read.


Not just for blogging

The Advent Calendar posts are not just for blogging, as Amanda illustrates at ABT UNK in “Advent Calendar of Xmas Memories 12/17”; she has used them to help her father remember Christmases past. I plan on stealing her idea.


Why do we do it?

Bill West at West in New England asks the question of the week: “What is the worth of a genealogy blog?” Lots of interesting responses, too. Bill, you can always get the genea-bloggers going….


Useful to even more useful

At Long Lost Relatives.net, Susan Pederson writes about even more ways to use the Kindle for genealogy in “Kindle for Genealogy: Redux.”


It's delightful

Barbara Poole’s saga of Delight Adams Benham just gets more and more interesting. The latest installment at Life from the Roots is “Delight Adams Benham and The Rest of the Story” and it has links to the other installments.


Facebook isn't the only party in town

At SpittalStreet.com, we learn that "Facebook may be great, but there are other social networking alternatives for genealogists."


Tradition, tradition!

It wouldn’t be Christmas in the Genea-Blogosphere without the tradition of Blog Caroling at footnoteMaven’s place.


Christmas spirit

I have really enjoyed reading the Advent Calendar posts. I got some wonderful ideas for celebrating Christmas, laughed, shed a tear or two, was actually reminded of a few Christmas memories that I had forgotten, and was thoroughly entertained.



For more suggested blog reading, check out Best of the Genea-Blogs at Randy Seaver’s Genea-Musings, Best Bytes for the Week at Elizabeth O’Neal’s Little Bytes of Life, Around the Blogosphere at Susan Petersen’s Long Lost Relatives.net, and Donna’s Picks at What’s Past Is Prologue.


Happy First Blogoversary to TennLady at Gene Notes!

Happy Second Blogoversary to Claudia at Claudia’s Genalogy Blog!

Happy Belated First Blogoversary to A. C. Ivory at Find My Ancestor!


This week I started following these blogs:

Cow Hampshire

Your Growing Tree

2338 W. Washington Blvd.

Family Archaeologist

Family History News and More

Fur Trade Family History

Going to the West

Images Past

Joan’s Ponderings and Muses

Luxegen Genealogy and Family History

Melted and Merged: The Smiths

My Rebel Roots

Over Thy Dead Body (Love the URL – “Stiffs and Stones”)

Relatively Speaking

Rosales’ History of the South

The Erudite Genealogist

Your Growing Tree


My Research Week

Nonexistent. Didn't do a scrap of research. Plan on making up for it on my days off.

5 comments:

  1. I see all of this wonderful reading ahead of me, and I know I can't possibly get to it until after the holiday. It's kind of like having to wait until Christmas to open my presents. Maybe I'll just take a little peek...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greta, Thank you for mentioning my post about Delight. I know it is long, and I'm glad you followed along. And it all began with the name! May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia - Nothing much gets done here before the holiday, either. I'm hoping to really "wade into the pool" starting today.

    Barbara - One of the things I love about the story is that following your curiosity really paid off.

    Bill - Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belated thanks for the follow, Greta!

    ReplyDelete