Sunday, October 3, 2010

Smith Family Sunday: Martha Smith, Montgomery County, Tennessee

This is the sixth family in my list of "Category 1" Smith families (most likely fit) for candidates to be the family of my brick wall great-grandmother, Susan Elizabeth Smith Brinlee. I have very little information on this family, as I could only find them on the 1870 census:

Shiloh, 20th Civil District, Montgomery County, Tennessee, p. 4, 10 June 1870
Line 32, family 27, dwelling 27

Smith, Martha 29 F W Keeping house TN Cannot read or write
Sarah E. 13 F W No occupation TN Cannot write
Joseph R. 7 M W TN
Susan E. 1 F W TN

Despite the lack of information, I have classified this family in the first category because they were poor, a single-parent household, and because there was more than just "Susan," "Elizabeth," or "Lizzie" as the name for the relevant daughter - Susan E., which could be Susan Elizabeth.

(I forgot to add this information when I originally posted.)  On the 1880 census, I did find a Martha Smith, age 40, with a son named Joseph, age 18, living with father/grandfather John Hale in Parrotsville, Cocke County, Tennessee, but there is no Sarah or Susan.  I do not know whether this is the same family, but I could find no other than resembled the family I found in the 1870 census.

If you are researching this family and found this blog through a search, please contact me - I would like to know more about this family and whether or not it is actually the family of my great-grandmother. Even if all you know are a few details, they might help. You can contact me at my e-mail address, which can be found by going to my profile page (there is a link to that page in the About Me section to the left).

No comments:

Post a Comment