Friday, April 16, 2010

Family Newsletter Friday: 16 April 2010

Research

Norman

As I mentioned in "Transcription Tuesday: Arkansas Marriages and 'Permission Slips,'" I have been using FamilySearch Record Search images of Arkansas County Marriage records for my Normans - what a huge resource! There are some surprises in there - a number of heretofore unknown first or second marriage are showing up. Also, if you remember my Mystery Normans, I have found the marriage license for Jane Norman and Zara Cotton. I do not know definitively that this was her only marriage, but I cannot find any other marriage records for her. I have also found what looks like a double marriage (both had Normans, they were on the same day, and the grooms signed for one another. Only I don't know who the Norman is on one of the marriages; must be part of the family I have not gotten to, yet).

Sisson

In writing up a “Surname Saturday” post for the Green McCurry/Mary Emma Sisson last Saturday, I noted that my information on that family was pretty scant. Out of curiosity I hit a few databases just to make sure I had not overlooked some of the “basics,” and sure enough, I got a date of death for one of the children, Carlton McCurry. I found information both on Ancestry – in the Alabama Deaths 1908-1959 database – and on FamilySearch Record Search – in the Alabama Statewide Deaths 1908-1974 database. Although Carlton had a distinctive name and I suspected that the Carlton McCurry on Ancestry was the same guy, I could not be sure and so did not enter that information for him after I found it on Ancestry. The information on FamilySearch Record Search, however, even though it did not have an image, either, at least included Carlton’s parents, so that I knew it was him. Whenever Family Search and Ancestry cull information for these vital records databases, Family Search seems to win out for including more information.

Uploaded Pictures on Ancestry Searchable

When I read in the monthly Ancestry e-mail Newsletter that there is a search page for uploaded photos on Ancestry, I gave it a try. There were a lot of results for "Brinlee." I had found a few photos earlier doing census searches through the links provided to Public Family Trees, but this is a much easier way to find photos - pretty amazing. Now I am trying other names, but the search has to be carefully tailored for common names or you will get a bazillion hits.

Blog

I finally added a list of my favorite posts to the “Best Of” page on this blog.

Knoxville in August!

I made my hotel reservations last weekend and will be sending in my conference registration soon! I just have to figure out which dinners and luncheons to attend. History husband will be coming with me and will be spending his time on the “history” part in Nashville. I am sooooo excited!

My random subject this week: The Toaca

Also known as the semantron, semanterion, or xylon in English; the bilo in Russian. For more information you can check out the Wikipedia article on the semantron here. It is usually made out of a long piece of wood and is used to call the Eastern Orthodox faithful to worship in many Balkan countries and a few monasteries in Russia. It came into use before bells and is sometimes used in addition to bells, particularly at monasteries.

2 comments:

  1. Greta,
    You are going to the FGS conference...yay! I am going too! Since I will be in North Carolina by then, it will only be a 6 hour drive (maybe a little less). Do you know who else in the geneablogging world is going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you are going, too, Jennifer! I believe that Thomas MacEntee is also going to attend, and I may have seen one other geneablogger, but now I can't remember who that was. I'm sure there will be at least a few more of us. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete