Monday, June 15, 2009

74th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy: Annual Swimsuit Edition



Why should Sports Illustrated have all the fun? This is your chance to show off the bathing beauties in your family. Pull out the old photos of Grandma Moses in her seaside bloomers, Auntie Mae in her pin-up girl suit from the 1940s or 50s, cousin Paula in her psychedelic bikini from the 1970s, or even yourself in your Speedo! Let's have some fun here! Memorial Weekend is behind us and that means the start of the summer sun, sand, and lakeside season so let's get in the mood with summer fun photos.



In my post for the latest Smile for the Camera, I whined about having so few pictures of weddings. Well, for the Annual Swimsuit Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy, the case is even worse. I only have one old beach picture. There are some pictures of my daughters frolicking in the water, but I have been told that posting these is a no-no.

The two lovely ladies in my sole “beach” picture are my Aunt Johnny Ruth Moore and her mother, Mrs. (Katherine) Peek. This picture must have been taken somewhere in Southern California; my mother and most of her siblings moved there from Baylor County, Texas in the 1940s. Baylor County is miles and miles from any beach.

Aunt Johnny and Mrs. Peek were proper Baptist ladies from the South. They are dressed modestly but also appropriately for the summer; I especially like Mrs. Peek’s white shoes.

Submitted for the 74th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy, hosted at Creative Gene.

3 comments:

  1. They look so happy and relaxed sitting on the beach! What a fun carnival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one carnival that I had a whole slue of photos to choose from and the winner was Aunt Bobs. Now the next carnival of genealogy is a little bit tougher. Love the photo. Can you imagine sitting on the beach fully dressed? I couldn't stand not being able to jump in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Greta,
    I liked the photo. I agree with
    Marie about this being a fun CoG.
    I wish I'd written for it now.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete