Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: My Top 10 Genealogy Websites

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has come up with another enjoyable Saturday night idea for posts: our top 10 genealogy sites.

Here are mine:

1. Ancestry
2. Family Search Record Search Pilot Page
3. Genweb
4. Rootsweb
5. Footnote
6. Findagrave
7. Greenville SC Library Obituary Index
8. South Carolina Department of Archives and History
9. Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
10. Genforum

I agree with Randy - it would be easy to do a top 50. And the surprising thing is, there are a lot of locality-based sites (included in my top fifty would be several more South Carolina sites, Texas sites, Illinois State Archives, etc.).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on footnote. I have never heard of that one. I need to bookmark it on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Footnote is a subscription website (not too expensive; I think it's $70 per year), but well worth it. I haven't actually subscribed yet, but have used it at the local Family History Center and plan on subscribing to it in the near future.

    ReplyDelete