Saturday, January 28, 2012

SNGF: My Maternal Grandfather's Paternal Line


Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has a habit (not deliberate, of course, but oddly on the mark with some regularity) of pinging on my “obsessions” and “NEED TO DOs” in his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.
This week is no exception, and it reminds me once again that I blew my chance this year to take advantage of the sale at Family Tree DNA.
The challenge is:
Find a living male person in your database from your maternal grandfather's patrilineal line who could take a Y-DNA test. Answer these questions:
1) What was your mother's father's name?
2) What is your mother's father's patrilineal line? That is, his father's father's father's ... back to the most distant male ancestor in that line?
3) Can you identify male sibling(s) of your mother's father, and any living male descendants from those male sibling(s)? If so, you have a candidate to do a Y-DNA test on that patrilineal line. If not, you may have to find male siblings, and their descendants, of the next generation back, or even further.
The answers:
1 - Kirby Runion Moore.
2 - Kirby Runion Moore’s father was Harlston Perrin Moore (born 4 December 1845 in Anderson County, South Carolina, died 12 December 1921 in Lancaster, Dallas County, Texas).  Harlston Perrin Moore’s father was William Spencer Moore (born ca 1813 in South Carolina, died 31 October 1871 in Anderson County, South Carolina).  William Spencer Moore’s father was Samuel Moore (probably born between 1856 and 1865, died between 29 January 1828 and 2 June 1828 in Greenville County, South Carolina).
3 - I don’t need to identify one of my grandfather’s brothers; I have several Moore-surnamed male first cousins who could take this test.
And that’s the rub.  I was mulling over taking advantage of the Family Tree DNA sale last year (both to get myself tested and to have one of my Moore cousins tested), but I blew it.  
So now I’m feeling bad about it all over again.  Thanks, Randy.

(JK - next time there is a sale, I REALLY mean to do this.)

4 comments:

  1. Chuckle...don't worry, Greta, the sale will come around again. You are very lucky to have the cousins to participate. That line is completely unknown to me because of grandparents' divorce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - Thanks for the encouragement - I'm counting on another sale coming up! I have been in contact with a lady through my mother's material line (Floyd) - her grandparents also divorced, and she thought her step-grandfather was her real grandfather until she saw her mother's maiden name on her SS application.

      Delete
  2. Grinning here. I've an uncle who would be perfect - but for his absolute refusal to consider it. After that I have to go pretty far afield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! I haven't asked my cousins, yet, but I know that at least one is crazy about genealogy, and I'll pay for the test, so....

      Delete