Sunday, January 29, 2012

Live from Falls Church, Virginia: It’s the iGene Awards!


As I get into the limousine to go to the iGene Awards on this cold day in January, I reflect on my oeuvre for the previous year and the award-winning posts.
It was a quiet year for me.  I did not write as much as usual and focused my efforts more on getting my house, research, and life organized and on reporting the results of my research, as shown in Great Cleaning Frenzy and “What I Learned Wednesday” posts.
So the iGene Award-winning posts from 2011 are a little on the light side.  To indulge in some compensatory egoboo, I am therefore planning on attending, right after the iGene Awards, the 2011 GeneaBlogJournalism Awards, which were invented by me to avoid viewing a screening of that godawaful reality show, “Greta’s Pity Party.”
So, here I am, in the audience, watching the acceptance speeches.  There’s someone railing about the divide between professionals and amateurs.  Now another is thundering something about bad punctuation in citations.  The next one .... zzzzzzz ..... (snort) - huh? Oh, is it my turn?
This years iGene Awards for Greta’s Genealogy Bog go to:
The iGene Award for Best Picture goes to:
“This Is the Face of Genealogy.”  It was one of those moments when the entire Genealogy Blogging Community pulled together to protest an insulting portrayal of genealogy and of an entire segment of the population.  The careworn face of the subject of this picture - my great-grandmother Angeline Elizabeth Matlock Floyd - epitomizes what I and so many of my fellow genealogists are searching for:  not rich/famous/eminent ancestors to brag about, but plain, ordinary people who in their perseverance and endurance made our lives, our way of life, and our many opportunities possible.
[A few raised fists, peace signs, and thumbs up are seen from sympathetic genealogy researchers in the audience.]
The iGene Award for Best Screenplay goes to:
“Memory Monday: We Were the Brady Bunch of Cat Families.”  This fluffy little musical comedy, and in particular its feline cast, has captured hearts near and far.  Nothing profound here, but the story is universal:  the challenges of blended families - and families are what genealogy is all about, aren’t they?  Cast:  Michael Cera and Ellen Page as the clueless parents, and a talented but anonymous bunch of cats as, well, the cats.
[A critic in the eighth row writes:  “Once again, the award goes to an inconsequential crowd-pleaser.”]
The iGene Award for Best Documentary goes to:
“Julius Koehl Address Study,” which demonstrated lessons learned about locating and mapping your families’ places of residence by showing rather than simply telling.  “Special Effects” of this post included Google Maps and photographs and an eye-popping chart that follows the documentary trail.
[Momentary disruption by a protestor in the back carrying a sign:  “We Want Citations, Not Flashy Effects!”  “Hey, jerk!” I yell out.  “The citations are IN the effects!”]
The iGene Award for Best Biography goes to:
“The Civil War and My Ancestors,” a somber and very loooong overview of my Southern ancestors’ involvement in the Civil War, including Civil War service records and other relevant records I have found, whether or not they were slaveholders, and their views (if known) on slavery and the Union.  A controversial choice since it consists merely of snippets of the individual lives of many different ancestors.
[A critic in the second row writes: “Why, oh why, must they always give this award to the longest and most snooze-worthy entry?”]
The iGene for Best Comedy goes to:
“Things I Don’t Care About in Genealogy,” a facetious rant by a genea-comedienne, riffing on all of the things she finds partially or totally irrelevant to the pursuit of genealogy.  (After considering a whole roster of irritating comedic actresses, I’m gonna flatter myself with a glam and witty casting choice: Ellen de Generes.)
[Some raucous hoots and whoops from the crowd, which is now a little squiffed after imbibing.]
And the most important awards of all - the GeneaBloggers Act of Genealogical Kindness Award - goes to three of my favorite genealogy bloggers:
Becky Jamison of Grace and Glory - for taking and sending me pictures of the graves of some of my relatives through the Brinlee line.

Jasia of Creative Gene - For thinking up and hosting the Carnival of Genealogy and the iGene Awards, events which inspire and unite the genealogy blogging community as well as showcasing their talents.

Anonymous - Yes, that’s right - this kind blogger did me a great big favor - unsolicited, I might add - but prefers to remain anonymous.  You know who you are and you rock.
***
Spoiler Alert:  Here are the results of the GeneaBlogJournalism [GBJ] Awards, which are given for exposes, editorials, and other random rants opinion pieces:

I gotta say, the GBJ Awards will never give the iGene Awards a run for their money - GBJ folks take themselves much too seriously and turn the whole thing into a snoozefest.  And since it is on Public TV, there isn’t even a decent potty commercial break during which you have time to make Tongue-Burnin' Supernachos or Uncle Jed’s Rip-Roarin' Party Mix to snack on.

7 comments:

  1. CLAP CLAP CLAP

    Award winning post here too!

    CLAP CLAP CLAP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compelling reading in all categories! Love the retrospective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Carol, another great post. You've got me laughing out loud, again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, you all are too kind. And I gotta admit, I love spoofing awards ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading your writing! Just goes to show you should do it more often :-)
    - Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greta, I'm a little late responding to this post, but love your choices. I'm especially glad you highlighted how we all "took up arms" against the fool who thinks genealogists and family history buffs are searching for the rich and famous. I knew I wouldn't find that -- and it's all the more important to me because I know (and the rest of us know) how hard our ancestors struggled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda - Thank you for your kind comments! It was amazing how fast and widespread our reactions were.

      Delete