Sunday, November 13, 2011

Blog Tweaks

As I get back into my genealogy research and blogging routine, I have been making a few tweaks to Greta’s Genealogy Bog:

- A “Lookups I Can Do” page. This page lists books that I have in which I can do lookups; these fall into two main categories: county books (Anderson County in South Carolina, Baylor County in Texas, Collin County in Texas, and Garland County in Arkansas) and land deed books by A. B. Pruitt for Pendleton District/Anderson County and Greenville County.

- A link to my Weebly website, “Greta’s Genealogy.” Right now it has half of my Genealogy Research Toolbox. Eventually the Research Toolbox on this page and the Weebly site will both have the complete Toolbox. You will notice that some headings have no entries for them right now; that is because I am still in the process of adding my bookmarked sites to these pages.

I have also started putting up my family lines on the “Greta’s Genealogy” website. My original plan was to learn how to use my genealogy program to create the web pages, but since it is so simple to create and link pages using Weebly, I have decided to simply create this part of the website page by page. That may sound like a very labor-intensive process, but it is surprisingly a lot of fun.

- Some old items have been removed from the sidebar. A few were links to sites that no longer exist, and others were research-related links that you can now find in my Toolbox. I will probably leave the South Carolina and Texas links on the main paige of the blog, however.

11 comments:

  1. You'd think it was spring! I just changed the format of my blog today, too. I've resisted for so long but my old template just didn't have as much versatility as the new one. I like your "tweaks."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I saw your changes - I like what you have done, too! I think fall has sort of the same effects as spring....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love Weebly? Your site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy - Thank you! And yes, I love Weebly - it is perfect for people like me. I still want to learn html, how to build a website, how to use my genealogy program to generate web pages, etc. - but some of this will probably have to wait a while.

    Amy - Thank you! I'm wondering why I didn't think of doing this earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me a few minutes to find the link to Greta's Genealogy, which looks great by the way. Maybe it could be in a more visible place? On my browser, it was 'below the fold' and I was looking for it in the bar at the top. After I clicked on all of the links, I finally had the thought to scroll down. Love your blog Greta. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen - Good point. I moved it up to between "About Me" and "If you see your ancestors."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Greta - I like your "tweaks" and would like to adopt your idea of "Look Ups I Can Do". Many thanks for agreat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harriet - thank you - I just wish I had thought of it earlier!

    Susan - thank you - I'll bet lots of us have items like these in which we could do lookups - probably some pretty awesome resources out there in the genealogy blogging community.

    ReplyDelete